Have Questions? Need Help?
Utah Mold Removal
About Mold & Mold Removal
It is a fact that molds produce allergens and irritants that can cause exposed individuals to experience symptoms of hay fever i.e. sneezing, runny nose, skin rashes, irritated eyes as well as nose, throat, and lung ailments.
Many toxic molds, including black mold, produce poisonous substances called mycotoxins. These toxins interfere with cell structures and processes and have the potential to cause serious health issues. Their effects on the body have been documented using controlled conditions in a laboratory. Mycotoxins have been proven to be present indoors with victims suffering from: pulmonary hemorrhage or pulmonary hemosiderosis (primarily in infants), headaches and other flu-like symptoms, nose bleeds, immune system suppression (resulting in increased numbers of infections), hair loss, chronic fatigue, psychological depression, diarrhea, sore throats, and dermatitis.
Other symptoms that have been associated with mold: burning eyes, blurred vision, respiratory illness, chest pains, chest tightness, shortness of breath, wheezing, dry cough, nasal congestion, aggravated asthma, and cognitive disorder.
If you have mold or believe you have mold, an inspection is a beginning point. For a nominal fee, we can come on-site and perform an inspection, taking into consideration the history of the property, current dampness, the moisture source, affected materials, and suspected affected areas. We have a variety of moisture detection meters and devices, and experience in looking for and detecting mold. Call us for a mold inspection if you have concerns about your property.
Mold exposure is typically from spores that get airborne and we breathe them in. Mold spores are so small they are not visible in the air. Mold testing can measure and document the quantity and varieties of mold in the air. This type of information can be helpful in determining the scope of work necessary; documenting the results of the mold removal and proof that the space is clean and safe. Black, Toxic and Allergenic Molds can cause serious health problems. Do not wait! Call us for your mold questions or testing.
Mold and Mildew
Mold is most prolific between 65°F and 85°F. Building interiors can provide a “prime” environment for the growth and reproduction of mold, mildew, and bacteria. All are parasitic and rely on organic matter for food. Mold breaks down organic matter and its food sources such as wood, paper, drywall, paneling, and ceiling tiles. Decaying organic jute backing on carpets coupled with warm humid air creates an ideal environment for reproduction.
“Black Mold” is a term commonly used to describe a slimy, greenish-black substance that can result in serious health risks. This infamous mold is also known as Stachybotrys Chartarum and more often as Stachybotrys Atra. It has been closely linked to the death of babies from respiratory bleeding, and illnesses such as asthma and bronchitis. According to the CDC (Center of Disease Control), this mold is responsible for over “100 cases of lung disorders”.
Areas and substances where black mold can be found include water-soaked wood, ceiling tiles, wall paneling, cardboard, and even items made of cotton. Black mold can grow on drywall and insulation and can infest areas on the floors, walls, and ceilings.
Bacteria differ in their climatic preferences. Some are able to survive below freezing while others are active to temperatures above 150°F/66°C. It is similar to mildew in that its preferred temperature for growth is 75°F/24°C.
Mold Remediation – Mold Removal
Once the source of the mold is resolved the clean-up begins. Mold clean-up measures include:
CONTAINMENT: Isolating the area to prevent the mold spores from spreading beyond its existing area. Negative air pressure machines are generally used in conjunction with temporary plastic walls.
REMOVAL: Removal of contaminated materials using various methods and proper disposal. Mold removal guidelines recommend physically removing finish materials affected with mold. If framing has visual mold growth and is still structurally strong, it can be HEPA vacuumed, sanded, and cleaned. Because mold exposure is a chemical exposure there are no shortcuts to the physical removal of mold colonies and mold spores.
NEUTRALIZE AND CLEANING: Fungicides (EPA approved) are applied to contaminated areas as part of the cleaning. Thorough detail cleaning is necessary after the physical removal of the mold is completed.
IMPORTANT FACT: Chlorine Bleach does not effectively kill mold on porous surfaces (wood, drywall, etc). It is not EPA or OSHA-approved for mold remediation.
COATINGS: Depending on the situation, we may recommend the application of an Anti-Microbial coating to prevent the recolonization of Mold on the remediated area.
DURING THE REMEDIATION PROCESS, THE USE OF PERSONAL PROTECTIVE GEAR IS MANDATORY IN THE CONTAINMENT AREA. YOU SHOULD NEVER ENTER THE CONTAINMENT AREA WITHOUT CONSULTING WITH THE CERTIFIED REMEDIATOR FIRST.
Black Mold may be toxic. Any and all mold should be removed from the home for safety. Mold can destroy your home as well as your health. If you see any mold in your home, it needs to be removed quickly. The longer you wait, the greater the damage to your home and the health of your friends and family. Do not wait to remove the mold.